Markneukirchen , the music town in the Vogtland
Markneukirchen, the music town in the Vogtland
Markneukirchen im Vogtland has been known for the manufacture of musical instruments for around 350 years. Almost all string, plucked, woodwind, brass, percussion and harmonica instruments used in European music, including bows, components and accessories, are manufactured in the city and the surrounding area.
The origins of this craftsmanship go back to Bohemian violin makers who, as religious refugees, settled in the Vogtland Musikwinkel around 1650.
The guild they founded in 1677 is the oldest still existing guild of musical instrument makers in Germany. In 1800 there were already around 80 violin making workshops and manufactories in the small town of Markneukirchen.
Around the year 1900, around 50 percent of the world's instrument and component production came from Markneukirchen and the surrounding area.
Visitors interested in music who come to the town of Markneukirchen should also visit the Musical Instrument Museum. There are more than 4,000 musical instruments, including 250 exhibits of musical cultures. It is also one of the oldest musical instrument museums in the world.
Vogtland musical instruments have been and are still being played in orchestras, ensembles and soloists around the world.
By the way, the current spelling of the place name was changed from "Markt Neukirchen" to Markneukirchen in 1858 by a royal decree from Dresden.
This is why the name “Neukirchen in Sachsen” can be found on old violin labels printed before 1858.